Sunday 25 February 2007

Music Production On A Budget

I guess if you are well into your music, you want to naturally progress to the next level. I am 26 years old & first got into music at the age of about 11 or 12 then in my teens I really wanted my first
pair of decks which I bought with my inheritance! My Dad was not pleased at all hoping I was going to buy a car instead.... 13 years later I still have no car!


After about a year or so of Djing, I wanted to start producing myself but not being in any major rush, I researched here & there... I already owned an Amiga 500 computer (Commodore) so this was a good start although I later find out that the preferred PC of choice at the time (1990's) was the Atari ST (great for sequencing) I faffed about with the Amiga for a while, but didn't really get much further than looping some breaks & maybe a few chords here and there!

Being bang into the club scene as well I found little time to write tunes, tending to focus most of my time on partying, drinking & generally having a bloody good time!

The last three years I have been 'bedroom producing' and written quite a few tracks. I would say my style is a heavy mix of old skool, breakbeat, acid, electro, techno, trance & drum & bass!

My list of equipment that I use regualry to produce my tracks is listed below:

SOFTWARE:

Emagic Logic 5.5.1

Propellerheads Recycle 2

Sony Acid Pro 5

Sony SoundForge 8

Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro 2

Vanguard VST

Spectrasonics Stylus

Spectrasonics Trilogy

Spectrasonics Atmosphere

Z3ta+

T-Racks

HARDWARE:

Evolution MK249c Midi Controller

Pentium Core Duo

2GB Ram

ATI Radeon X800 GT Graphics card

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard

Obviously I didn't buy all this at once! I slowly built it up over time, borrowed bits from friends etc, downloaded stuff from the net, sampled my own lyrics effects etc. In the next few weeks I will try & list resources for free samples, software, etc. WATCH THIS SPACE!!

To hear some of my tracks please scroll to the top of this blog ...

OR TRY HERE!:

Some of my tunes...

More of my tunes...

Music blogs
Top Blogs

6 comments:

solomon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
solomon said...

Hello, thank you for sharing your studio setup with us.

I have a similar setup - Logic 5.5 on the PC and the Audiophile 2496 and I'm having some trouble getting things working.

I'm curious if you wouldn't mind sharing your settings with respect to Logic and the Audiophile, i.e., what are your settings for the Audiophile control panel itself, and then, how do you have Logic configured to interface with it?

I'd like to get both the analog (RCA) inputs as well as the S/PDIF input configured for recording.

If you don't mind, it would be GREATLY appreciated - thanks in advance!

footballfanatic said...

Hi

I have installed the standard 2496 Driver from the internet and have not touched any of the settings whatsoever on the 'M-Audio Delta Audio' control panel.

In logic 5.5.1 if you go into Global Preferences i have my setup running in ASIO, i this seems to work fine with me. Also these soundcards have a great latency rate for the price.

What sort of problems are you having as its hard to advise you without knowing the issue. Have a look at the screenshots attached and see if they help at all... Let me know how you get on..

http://www.zshare.net/image/gpref2-jpg.html

http://www.zshare.net/image/gpref-jpg.html

solomon said...

My apologies for the delay. Thank you for reply, and for posting the screen shots.

I have not tried the ASIO configuration, so I will try that today and report back.

Best regards,

solomon said...

ASIO eliminated the headaches I was experiencing! Working directly with the M-Audio control panel is much easier. Thanks!

footballfanatic said...

No problem antonio - glad to help & sorry for my late reply also!

SEARCH FOR FREE SAMPLES, LOOPS, VST, BREAKS ETC. HERE:

Google

FREE MP3 DOWNLOAD SECTION

PLEASE READ ME! These MP3's & WAV's are FREE to download, Please show your appreciation by visiting one of our sponsors, this will enable to me to regulary post new MP3's for all to share. Thanks & please subscribe to this blog (scroll to bottom) as there will be more FREE MP3's soon...

FREE MP3'S:

4-HERO - MR. KIRK'S NIGHTMARE

WE ARE I.E - LENNY DE ICE

ONE TRIBE FEAT. GEM & MC NUTS - WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

LEVI ROOTS - REGGAE REGGAE SAUCE

GENASIDE II - NARRA MINE

RICKY SMIRNOFF - RATE MY SKILLS (1XTRA EDDIT)

RICKY SMIRNOFF - SHITPAPER (QUILTED VELVET MIX)